Day 3 - Negro Guerrero
Its the end of Day 3. In a camping spot in Negro Guerrero, spent last night in Punta San Jose, surf spot with a Lighthouse near it and a small fishing village. Not exactly quaint, rundown shantys pretty much, with what seemed to be Single, Hermit, Fishermen, I only saw a couple for the time I was there. The water was cold (low 60's) and it was a 30 mile drive to the spot via a dirt road, not especially bad, just VERY long... Though I never saw any live ones, apparently there were Urchins in the water, I saw a couple dead ones on land that were immense. Fishing there was made more difficult because of the incredibly cold water... The whole idea (in my mind) for leaving Cali for a surf trip, is that the surfing be enjoyable! In water that matched Cali for temperature, I definitely wasn't happy, also, after the surf was over the place was somewhat desolate. The 1 session I had there was decent except for the wind that was blowing really hard. Met a few guys from San Diego though, they lived in PB and apparently made the trip twice yearly or so, to just that spot. While I was there the waves were maybe 5-7', nothing to write home about but somewhat fast (almost barreling) and very consistent, if not for the wind it would have been pristine!
The next day (day 4) we picked up and left @ 9am or so, took and hour and a half to get to the main road, averaging 20mph on the dirt road, and then the long march began! We drove until 6:30pm PST, one hell of a drive that was. Three hours or so of it was through the FIRST desert in Baja, thankfully that was 70mph+, the real speed limit is 80kmph (about 50 MPH) but since nobody seems to care... I was getting passed doing 80mph! On a 2 lane Highway I might add! It was a hell of a drive today, but it was good. Hazel only puked 4 times or so.
Also looking at the surf spots on Magic Seaweed.com shows a spot that looks like it is just north of where I wound up today looking for surf - Santa Rosalita, don't go there looking for surf, it is a bay, if you want to find the one on MSW I recommend patience and a 4x4... Decided I had enough sunlight left to shoot for this place, Negro Guerrero, only another hour or so south, the campsite has showers and a restaurant, bonus! 12$ seems steep but whatever... By the way, all the stuff I have read says you can use USD. I highly recommend fucking that whole enchilada and stopping by a bank and getting pesos. You will get fucking in random places on the conversion rate. Just say no. One other thing I have found is that unless you can do the math quickly and know the days conversion rate, using USD will REALLY fuck you over! Watch the gasoline attendant, sometimes they don't reset the pump before they pump your gas..... Anyway, quick reference for where I am at is to look at Google Maps, look at Baja, there is a large bay in the middle of Baja on the Pacific side, I am at the southernmost part of the crescent, it's out of season, but this is where Grey Whales come to birth their young! All the way from like Alaska and the Bering Straights, like 1500 mammoth whales!
It will be another 2-3 days of long driving before I see the Pacific Coast again, I-1 goes over to La Paz from here and then loops around back down south, where I will likely spend a week or so there.. Hopefully...
Oh, I forgot, I did the math for how much driving the first leg of this trip is: 4,000 miles, at ~50 mph (average possibly lower) and doing 10 hours of driving per day, is 8 days... Wait, that's not right, I will try and remember the math I did, I was driving through the desert, so yeah.
Last but not least, I am now in Mountain Time!
Miles driven ~800, Times surfed 1.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment